Thursday, September 21, 2006

Running in Packs

This morning I was invited to run with some other people. I have never been real enthused about running with other people because I feel like I slow them down. However, this was an especially fun run. We started at 5:00 a.m. and they start running right out of the chute...not like me who thinks it is necessary to walk 1/2 mile for a warmup! I held my own the first 2 1/2 miles and at times was actually ahead of people and it wasn't till that last 2 1/2 miles that I lagged behind but I always managed to catch up. I had to walk a couple times to catch my breath but not anywhere near the amount of walking I do when I am by myself. Overall I give myself a B+(not so much for the actually running but for the effort I put forth). We ran down a beautiful road that was all curvy and downhill. However, for everydown hill there is usually and uphill. The first one was small and I made it up quite nicely. I actually sprinted up the hill. Then we hit 4th Street hill and that was a bear! When I got to the top I wasn't sure if I wanted to puke or pass out. I did neither though because I think they have a no puking, no passing out rule. I also thought that as much as they liked me they would not be willing to carry this large Athena back to the doors of the Y. So onward ho....another couple hills and then flat land to the end. 55 minutes....5 miles....not to shabby espcially since we had 4 hills in the route. One thing I found is that I need to be consistent with my pace. I tend to speed up and then I get out of breath and have to walk...so if I pace myself I could probably learn to run with absolutely no walking on the long runs. FUN FUN FUN AND I AM SO GLAD I GOT INVITED AND AM LOOKING FORWARDING TO THE NEXT SCHEDULED RUN. I was told that I am ready for the Pumpkin Push (10k) and if I have to walk a little that is okay...just like today with another mile on it. So I am signing up and I refused to get all freaked out like I did at the Hog Jog. I am just gonna go my own pace and if I have to take little walking breaks I am not going to beat myself up. Hopefully some of the people that ran this morning will do the pumpkin push so I can pace with them. I also need to go out and check the route because if I remember correctly (from volunteering the year before) there is one big long hill right at the start. I HATE HILLS! But this large Athena she does love the downhills!

Updates: Tuesday night invited my Mom over for dinner and then we played a couple of games of Skipbo. Ymmmm dinner we had Cubed Pork Cutlets on the Grill, Homemade Scalloped Potatos, Harvard Beets, Cooked Carrots, Apple Salad and Biscuits. Nice relaxing evening. (Beets and Apple Salad made with my best friend Splenda)

Thursday (Today): Adam has his first visit to the doctor. I am anxious to see how much my little buddy has grown.

Friday Night: Hopefully going dress hunting with Tasha. I need to find a dress for the wedding because it is fast approaching. I might even pop for dinner if she is nice!

Random Loving it Moment: Running in the cool autumn morning accompanied by Garth Brooks and his songs of love and pain.

No comments: