Sunday, July 02, 2006

Athena----Goddess of Chub?

I was doing some research the other day and came upon some information. Men that run who are over 200 pounds are referred to as Clysdales... while female runners over 150 pounds are referred to as Athenas. Hmmmm, now I don't believe in Mythology but Athena in Greek Mythology is the Goddess of Wisdom and Military Victory. Now while I don't think it would be all that flattering to be known as a Clysdale, the term "Athena" aint all that bad. I think it might have a better ring to it then Kim the Warrior Princess. Some races even have catagory for "Athena" and "Clysdale" so that the larger runner can better judge him/her self against their peers. I think that is an awesome idea! Face it a woman of 170 pounds is not going to be able to move as fast as a 120 pound woman. You throw a 50 pound backpack on that 120 pound woman and she is going to substantial slow down. Now I don't really care if I ever weigh 120 pounds but I would at least like to be a 150 pounds. My legs, ankles, and feet would like that as a well. I have no aspirations to be "fast" runner but I would love to be a "steady paced" runner. You know the middle of the pack group.
Iwas advising my husband of my desire to be a "middle of the packer" and how hard I was going to work and what a struggle it was going to be when he said, in a desire to be supportive"Now remember Kim you are a grandmother and you are going into your golden years so maybe you should take it a little easy" (at least this is more or less what he said, interpretation might be slightly skewed due to PMS) I then, in my altered PMS mode, heard the words bulky and building up muscle mass. I stared at him and said, "So you think I am fat" He looked slightly, no make that completely, horrified (and scared) that that is the way I interpreted what he just said. Poor man says, "Noo Noooo Nooo you look great. You have done an amazing job. How many other people can say the lost over 100 pounds". So at this point I decided, based on my PMS symptoms, that I should stop the converstation there. While I might have quit discussing it, my mind was going 100 miles per minute. Yes, I eat too much on the weekend, yes I need to lose 20 pounds, yes I am a grandmother, NO I AM NOT in my golden years. Iam 43 soon to be 44.
So addressing the issues:
Being A Grandmother. I love being a grandmother. However, that does not mean I lose my coolness ranking upon the birth of grandchildren. I will run a 10k and I WILL run a Mini! Matter of fact I plan on doing that when I am a GREAT GRANDMOTHER. I want my grandchildren to see that their grandmother is not just the traditional cookie baking grandmother but she can bake cookies and be an "Athena". I hope at least one of my grandchildren will be at the finish line this May for the Mini! After it is over we can sit down and eat Grandma's home baked cookies while I tell them how sore Grandma's Glutes and Quads are.

DIET: So goodby pizza on Fridays, goodby mulitple desserts on the weekend, goodby eat whatever you want on the weekend and hello to menus and one dessert per weekend and lots of veggies and lots of fruit. I have advised my husband that he will see red meat no more then two days a week. He looked quite sad when I told him that. He says, "Why do I have to suffer" and I told him because I don't believe in suffering alone. When I suffer I want everyone to know it and suffer with me.

This morning I ran about 3 miles to my son's house, was going to get a drink out of his hose, his hose was not working, decided I was really thirsty and would wake him up. I rang his doorbell, I banged on his door. He did not answer so I had to go bang on his bedroom window to wake him up. He comes to the door, "Man what do you want" I respond, "Let me in I am thirsty" He lets me in, I get my drink. He asked if I ran all the way there I said I did with about 5 minute of walking. He says, "Good job". I hang around around 15 minutes to cool down because I was HOT HOT HOT. By the way Tasha, you are an excellent housekeeper...that house was spotless and it smelled GOOD. Off I go jogging with a little bit of walking (not a whole lot) to finish up with almost 7 miles. I incorporated one big big hill which I had to walk run up and one big big set of stairs on another big hill. The stairs go up a hill to a school. Oh and I do so love the downhill miles. I can breath and I never ever have to stop....This Athena LOVES DOWN HILL.
I think I could have made it farther if I had eaten a bananna before I started this morning but I was running on a totally empty stomach and it is hard work for an Athena to run that far.

UPDATES for the Month of July:
Fourth of July Picnic: Commences at 4:00 pm on Tuesday.
July 7-9: Me and Aunt Denise going on a much needed R&R trip
Baby Shower: July 15, 2006, at 4:00
July 15, 2006: 5k Zoo Run
July 22, 2006 5k Run for Alana
July 29, 2006 Broncho Run
Birthdays: Tasha and Grandma Casey on July 27!

My husband has now looked over my shoulder and said, "Who the heck is Athena". I tell him I am Athena and that he should no longer refer to me as Kim but Athena. He rolls his eyes and says I am not Athena I am a dork.

Signed
Athena -Running Woman of Chub (That will now be my official title and I expect my family to refer to me as such)

3 comments:

Virginia said...

Well, I guess it is better to be called Athena than MINERVA...lke the Romans called the goddess of wisdom!!!

SRR said...

Isn't that funny? Because I always get offended at the term "Athena." And for the races I have run in the weight limitation is 140lbs. Grrr!

m said...

Oh I would have to hit my husband on that comment. I'm 40 and had my last child at 38. I'm far from being a grandmother. (my oldest is 7) You are still young (you know 40 is the new 30 so you are 33)

Kudos on the 7 mile run. I could barely do 4 on oatmeal and 4 cups of coffee.