Sunday, July 30, 2006

People Actually Wanted our Junk

Family yard sale completed and quite successful for everyone but me. I only made $11.00 because I can not will not part with my stuff. My husband did well and made around $145.00 after he paid for his share of the ad. Jamie and Tasha made over $150.00 after ad, Kendra made about $30 after ad, Aunt Denise made $27 (she did not have to pay for the ad b/c she did the dougnut run) and Grandma Sue made $11.00. Not bad. If poor Kendra had not been pregnant she probably would have made many $$$$ on the yard sale as Lucas has all kinds of STUFF. But poor Kendra just does not have the energy to do a whole lot. Who can blame being her since she is 8 months pregnant during a heat wave. Which brings you to my first yard sale story. Lucas has a free standing mixer (every woman's desire) and had not used it ever! So Kendra (who is not all that fond of cooking) decides to sell it. She tells me about it and I said I WANT IT I WANT IT! She says okay but you will have to hide it when Lucas comes over because I am sure he does not want to sell it (she was selling it anyway because he has a serious "LOTS OF STUFF" problem). Well she drops off her stuff at Jamie's house the night before the yard sale. Lucas is helping her unload the stuff and he sees the mixer. He tells her "I am not getting rid of my mixer" She tells him, "But you have NEVER used it". That made no difference to him and in all fairness though he gave up his other treasures without complaint! Kendra assumes since she has told him that it would stay in the yard sale that that was the end of the conversation. However, the next morning when she arrives back to Jamie's to put her stuff out there is NO mixer. She looks high and low but no mixer amid the junk that is our yard sale. She calls and Lucas laughs and pleads innocent. I yelled out so he could hear me over the phone that he "STOLE MY MIXER". He had the nerve to say that if I wanted to borrow it I could. I told him I was not borrowing my own mixer. It is now Sunday and he still has my mixer and I guess when I want it I will have to borrow it...humph.
TWO OLD LADIES COME TO NEAR BLOWS OVER A BOX! Yes, in all the years I have had yard sales and been a yard saler I have NEVER seen a yard sale altercation. My husband was selling a wooden box with some odds and ends hunting stuff. He had it marked for $5.00 which was a real bargin. One of the ladies asked if he would $3.00 for it. My husband says "Hmmm I don't think so" The lady said for him to think about it and let her know if he will. In the meantime another lady (both of them being in their mid sixties) comes up to my husband and says "I'll give you $4.00". He accepts her offer and she carries her box up to the cash out table and sits it next to me and tells me she is going to look around for a little while. Next thing you know I have both of the woman standing in line in front of me. The one that had offered $4.00 for the box was first in line. She put her her purchases on the table and I start adding up and she reminds me to add in the box so I pick up the box and put it with her stuff. The lady behind her (who had offered $3) sees her pick up the box and says" Hey that is mine" The lady said "No it's not I brought it up her" The other lady says, "That man sold it to me" as she pointed to my husband. I am starting to feel very uncomfortable. So I call for my husband. He comes over and the ladies are both talking at the same time and telling him that he sold them the box. My husband tells the one lady that she had offered him $3.00 and had told him to think out it and in the meantime the other lady offered him $4.00 so he took it her offer. The $3.00 told him she WOULD have given him $4.00 if he gave her chance. He told her that since she told him to think about it and walked away that he assumed she was not interested in going up so he sold it to the highest offer. The lady was NOT pleased. By this time I am feeling beyond uncomfortable and blurt out, "Maybe we should be like Solomn and cut the box in half. Who loves the box more" They both stare at me. I look down and mutter I am staying out of this. My husband says, "Well she did offer $4.00" so the lady that offered $4.00 took the box. She looks back at the $3.00 lady says, "I am sorry", my husband says he is sorry, I tell her I am sorry. She looked icely at us and said, "No you're not" The lady says look if it is gonna be a big deal I will let you have the box. The lady says "This is not a big deal" The other lady says, "Well if there is going to be an argument..." The $3.00 lady says, "There is no argument". Which I can most assuredly say THERE WAS AN ARGUMENT.
The rest of the yard sale was uneventfull. I skipped out at noon to attend birthday party. They had a yummy cake and a some awesomely good pasta salad (which I am going to have to get the receipe for). The birthday girl turned one and was quite happy with all the birthday attention! She is a smiley smiley girl! After the birthday party back to the yard sale for final shutdown. We marked stuff down to 1/2 price at the very end but still did not sell much. Nobody bought the wedding dress... The one person that looked at it was told by me that my daughter (and I pointed to her) had never actually worn it. Then my daughter says Mom I look kinda pregnant (she is 8 months along) and that sounds kinda of wrong...so then I had to tell the man that, "Oh she did get married just not in that dress" He laughs and says it would not fit his girlfriend anyway because she is very SKINNY. I told him, "Yeah we don't have that problem in our family" and then he says, "You are full bodied woman" (I am sitting there, Tasha (who is in fact skinny), Kendra (who is 8 months pregnant) and my Mom). When he leaves Tasha says we should have hit him...I am just hoping he meant something else and the way it came out was just poor english speaking skills since he was Hispanic.
Final Thought: Yard sales are hard work! Multi families are the worst because you have to track different people's sale.

Oops off for my run...bloggin lost track of time...I am going to be late late late!

Back from the run...did walk, run for about 7 miles. Not gonna worry about walking and running because I am going to assume that just the fact that I am out there working is going to make a big improvement in my winter time. So no more complaining about the heat. I am just going to do what I can do and this winter if my time is not better THEN I will be upset.

3 comments:

Andrew McAllister said...

No doubt about it - yard sales are one of the most mystifying aspects of our culture...along with our relationships, of course :o)

To Love, Honor and Dismay

Andrew McAllister said...

Hi again Kim,

I'm tickled that you took the time to come visit To Love, Honor and Dismay. And please do fill up my blog with your issues. After all, that's why I'm doing it. Any issues you have, you can be sure millions of other people have the same ones, and most of them are too shy to tell their story or ask for help. Do them a favor and pipe right up. I truly appreciate your interest!

Virginia said...

I keep my junk...I may need it some day!!!